Sunday, September 03, 2006

Architectural Influence

I marvel at how many choices an architect must make when designing a building. This mode of art is certainly a vehicle, but think about how the vast nuances of each brick, each beam, each boundary intricately influence a person that enters, passes by, or even stands to witness the message of the structure.

Do we have a need to aim for the sky? (cue ethical appeal)
Do we experience awe and/or sublimity in the midst of such grand construction? (fondly, pathos)
If we build, do we improve society? (clear logic)

I wonder what buildings have influenced you...
OR
Have you ever actually designed/built something that required rhetorical choice?

2 Comments:

At 9/04/2006, Blogger jo(anna) said...

A five part post, if i ever saw one.

First off, I do believe we have a need to aim for the sky. To not aim for the sky is to fall down from a pinnacle, that you'll never reach again. To me, if you don't have an aim in life, then the ever rising waters cover your head and you end up completely submerged. I think it's more tied to pathos though, because we have a fear of what will happen if we don't reach up. I understand the ethical appeal of the waste of untapped potential, but it's still more pathos.

I understand why a lot of people see awe in buildings, but I have never been able to. Buildings are not what matters. Honestly, I fear the city, and that fear puts is a barrier in front of my capacity to be awed. That might be part of the reason why I want to be an architect. I want people like me to put aside there fear and see beauty, but not in the form of huge skyscrapers.

I do believe when we build, we improve society, but I don't mean when we literally build. I mean more when we build relationships, or our knowledges, that's when we improve society.

The buildings that have influenced me the most are the ones I've lived in. My dad is a firm believer in profit in houses, and because of that, we've moved a bit since our first apartment in the U.S. These are the only ones that made an impact in my life, with exception of the ones with really wacky or cool designs.

Rhetorical choice is used daily. There is no single thing we haven't constructed without using rhetorical choice, unless we do it at spur of the moment, for our eyes only.

 
At 9/07/2006, Blogger D. Robin said...

Girls' Volleyball rules!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home